A Library of Things can take many shapes but is at its core a non-traditional lending collection of useful and/or entertaining items. A Library of Things can also cut down on the duplication of tools or resources in a community, saving neighbors money — or provide access one can’t afford in the first place — while reducing material waste.
With support from FreeportCAN – who offered the initial spark of conversation and has assisted with the brainstorming and sourcing of items – FCL’s Library of Things supports ideas important to both organizations: to promote curiosity, discovery, informed citizenship, and life-long learning; and to empower citizens to take action to reduce the impact of our consumer behavior on climate change through sustainable consumption.
OUR LIBRARY OF THINGS
View a categorized list of Library of Things below and click on the images to learn more about them or head straight to a list of Freeport’s Library of Things in the Minerva catalog.
HOW TO BORROW THINGS
Who can borrow Things?
The Library of Things collection is freely available to all FCL cardholders ages 18+ in good standing with no unresolved billed items.
How do I request a Thing?
- Online – Place a hold for an item in our Library of Things in the Minerva catalog.
- Phone – Call 207-865-3307 during business hours if you need help placing a hold.
- In-person – Check the Library of Things shelves in our library. If the item isn’t available, you can place a hold on it.
How long can I borrow a Thing?
- Most items, except for the hotspots, may be borrowed for 3-week intervals and renewed up to 2 times unless other patrons have requested that item.
- Hotspots may be checked out for one week and cannot be renewed.
Is there anything else I need to know?
- Review our Library of Things Lending Policy
- The borrower is solely responsible for the Thing and will be billed for reasonable repair or replacement costs associated with damage or loss (including peripherals) due to neglect or abuse.
- All items must be picked up at and returned to our main lending desk; do not return items in a book drop.