Sign up for Kanopy, FCL’s new on-demand video streaming service that features independent, international, classic, and documentary films.
If you’d like some help getting started with Kanopy, watch our Kanopy how-to video.
Kanopy includes more than 30,000 films from hundreds of popular producers such as The Criterion Collection and PBS, as well as thousands of independent filmmakers – on a wide variety of topics.
In order to control our costs for this service, we’re limiting each cardholder to six films per month. If that limit is reached, cardholders will have to wait until the next month before they can watch more films. Kanopy does offer a few credit-free films each month.
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH KANOPY
To set up your Kanopy account, visit https://freeportmaine.kanopy.com and add your library card number. You will then set up a login that you can use to sign into the Kanopy site with a web browser or the Kanopy app.
If your library card has expired or if you have billed items, you will see an error message “This library card number may be incorrect. Check the details or contact your library.” If this happens, please contact us at 207-865-3307.
HOW TO WATCH KANOPY
- On a smartphone or tablet – The Kanopy mobile app is available on the Apple, Android, and Kindle Fire platforms.
- On TV – The Kanopy app is available on Samsung Smart TVs, and the following streaming devices: Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and TVs and devices that use the Android TV operating system.
- On your laptop or desktop computer – Visit https://freeportmaine.kanopy.com to set up your login and stream through your web browser.
HOW TO ENABLE ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES
Anyone who uses Kanopy Kids – a selection of children’s shows and films – will have unlimited access to a collection of high-quality programs for children aged 2 and up, with a focus on kids age 2-8. When you watch a Kanopy Kids program, you have access to the entire Kids collection for 30 days. Once you sign up using the instructions below, click on “Go To KanopyKids” in the top menu of the Kanopy home page to access that section.
- If you have any questions or need help with Kanopy, visit the Kanopy Help Center.
- If you have issues with Kanopy that can’t be addressed with information in their help center, you can submit a Kanopy support request.